Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My Art Room

Artella
I am lucky enough to have my own art space. It's a long room at the end of the house with plenty of space and plenty of light. It was supposed to be a "bonus" room, and it's a real bonus to me. I have all my favorite "stuff" there: Bookshelves to hold all my art and creativity books, open shelving to showcase my altered books and other projects, a large antique filing cabinet to hold supplies (not that there's room for ALL of them there!), and two huge worktables to hold my works-in-progress. This is MY room, MY space and MY sanity saver! When I enter this room, I automatically leave reality and go into the "zone". All time is suspended and my mind goes out into space. I always feel so much better when I've taken time out from my daily life to create SOMETHING.

Now, I realize that not everyone can have a whole room in which to indulge our creative passions; many of us are lucky just to have a corner somewhere to do what we want to do, make what we want to make. But even if you live in the teeniest apartment, you can find your "space". Keep your supplies in a cupboard or bin and drag them out when you want to make stuff. I sometimes throw a piece of plastic over my kitchen table and create there (usually when I have waaaaay to many projects going and have run out of surface in my art room!). I have even heard of people keeping their supplies in an under-the-bed storage container and using their bed as a work surface. Hey, where there's a will, there's a way. The point I'm trying to make is that it's important that we have a spot in which to express ourselves creatively. Maybe all you need is a computer. Maybe a journal will be just fine. But find your spot and GO CREATE SOMETHING!

1 Comments:

Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

I always love peeking into other artists studios - my inner space planner i think -- thanks for the opportunity to see inside yours... (arriving from ajmarketing)

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home