Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Art of Free

Artella

It's that time of year again; garage sales, flea markets, farmer's markets and all sorts of outside shopping venues dot the roadside. There's nothing I love more than a good bargain. Oh wait, yes there is -- getting stuff for free! You never know what you might find if you keep your eyes open. Not too long ago, I bartered with my friend Judy. I traded a small hutch that I'd had forever for a gliding rocker and ottoman that she wanted to replace. Her chair looks great in my family room and my hutch looks awesome in her dining room. But that left a hole in my kitchen where the hutch used to be. I decided that I'd really like to have a desk there to pay bills at, but, money being what it is (i.e., practically non-existent), I knew I couldn't afford to buy a new one. A few days later, as I was driving down the road, I spotted a beautiful maple desk sitting out beside someone's trash! Oh sure, it was a little dinged up, but I'm partial to the distressed look anyway. I pulled over and hauled that puppy into the back of my SUV (yet another practical use for an otherwise money-sucking vehicle). Now that lovely (free!) desk sits in my kitchen, holding all the bills I can't afford to pay. It even has open shelving for my cookbooks. What a deal!

Judy just called. She snagged some goodies from her sister's yard sale and wants to share with me. Hey, free...it's a good thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home